We don’t know about you, but lean, well-toned hips and thighs are definitely must-have assets! But for some reason, those are usually the parts where the chocolate cake and ice cream you consumed yesterday go! It is no surprise then that your hips and thighs grow thick faster than any other part of your body.
A lot of exercises engage the muscles of the thighs and butt, and we’ve compiled the most fundamental moves to help you shape your lower body up. Perform these exercises two to three times a week and you’ll be on your way to leaner hips and thighs.
The most obvious exercise you can do to trim your thighs and lose weight is jogging. Just take a quick look at some joggers around you; you’ll mostly see well-toned thighs. In a short span of time, jogging can burn a high number of calories.
Jogging is considered to be a high-impact workout as only one leg supports your weight at a time. When jogging, make sure to wear a pair of comfortable athletic shoes.
- Warm up your muscles by taking a 5-minute walk. Start slow and increase your speed as you go on.
- Carry on and start jogging at a comfortable pace for 10 to 20 minutes.
- You can add hill intervals to intensify the impact on your thighs. For example, start on a flat road and then jog up a hill.
- End the jogging workout with a 5-minute walk cool down.
One effective exercise that specifically targets your thighs is lunges. Not only does it help slim down your thighs but also engages your buttocks. Though very easy to do, lunges are sufficient to elevate your heart rate and help in losing weight.
- Stand with feet a little apart and abdominals flexed.
- Step forward with your left leg. Make sure to keep your torso straight.
- Bend your knee until it a 90-degree angle is formed.
- Return to the starting position by pushing on your heel.
- Repeat on the other side. Do this exercise for 10 to 15 minutes.
3. Jump Squats
A full-body exercise, jump squats are an amazing way to work the muscles of the thighs, legs, and buttocks. Not only that, but it also doesn’t require any equipment — just you and your body! Athletes include jump squats in their workout because it helps them improve their performance in certain sports.
- Stand with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-distance apart and toes pointing to the front.
- Start with a normal squat: hips pushed back and weight supported by your heels.
- Quickly jump into the air for maximum height as you push your hands back for added power. Make sure to keep your body straight mid-air.
- Do this exercise for 5 to 10 minutes.
4. Froggy Squats
A froggy squat is as fun to perform as it sounds. It involves your hips, butt, and thighs and strengthens your lower body in general. Froggy squats are a great addition to your weight loss workout.
- Stand with your feet past shoulder-width apart.
- Do a regular squat and clasp your hands in front of your body. Don’t let your elbows rest on your thighs.
- Inhale as you lower your hips as if to sit until your thighs become parallel to the ground. Exhale when you go up.
- Do this exercise for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. Side Squat with Band
As implied, this exercise requires a band. There are a wide variety of resistance bands in the market that you can purchase for an affordable price. Although you can perform side squats without it, the band will intensify the effectiveness of the exercise.
Side squats are known to engage and tone your thighs, legs, hips, and buttocks. They are often overlooked because many tend to enjoy the traditional squats. Doing side squats will introduce your body to some lateral strength movement.
- Stand with your feet shoulder-distance apart. Tie the band around your legs.
- Lift and step your right leg to the right, pressing out the resistance.
- Bend your knees to a deep squat when your right foot touches the ground.
- Stand back up and return to the starting position.
- Repeat on the other side.
6. Leg circles
Leg circles can be done in a standing, sitting, or lying position. It is a Pilates exercise that challenges the strength of your core and the stability of your hips. Further, it tones the hamstrings and quads.
- Lie on the mat with legs extended and your arms on the side of your body.
- Raise your right leg until it is fully straightened.
- With toes pointed, draw five small circles in a clockwise motion.
- Switch directions and draw five small circles.
- Gently lower your leg back down. Repeat on the other side.
7. Stability Ball Leg Lifts
Requiring a stability ball, this thigh-slimming exercise is an easy addition to your workout. The ball adds challenge to the exercise, which involves not just the inner thighs but also the core muscles.
- Lie on your back with your arms on the side of your body and legs extended.
- Place the stability ball between your feet.
- Contract your legs and lift the ball up towards the ceiling using your hips.
- Return to the starting position to complete a rep.
- Do 3 sets of 15 reps.
Because of the many benefits of being fit, more and more people, especially women, want to workout. Slim thighs, in particular, are one of the most desired assets. Are you conscious of your thighs as well and want to tone them? Try these exercises and let us know your favorite!