On average, makeup brushes last around one to five years. However, experts recommend that you replace makeup brushes every 3-4 months.
Regular cleaning and proper maintenance may help lengthen your brushes’ lifespan.
However, beauty experts believe that you still need to replace them regularly.
I’ve created this post to help beauty and makeup enthusiasts further.
This article will help you learn more about makeup brush care and maintenance tips.
How Often Should You Replace Makeup Brushes?
Being a makeup enthusiast does not end in showing interest in learning about makeup products.
It should also include knowing how to take care of your tools, especially makeup brushes.
Keep in mind that having high-quality brushes allows you to achieve flawless makeup looks.
However, if you keep using old brushes, you might encounter difficulties applying cosmetic products.
Your makeup brushes may last for years, but it depends on the actual brush materials and how you store and maintain them. However, for safety and hygiene purposes, aim to replace them every four months at most.
You may also replace your brush the moment you observe quality issues.
This includes a change in shape, smell, and color.
How Many Makeup Brushes Should You Have?
If you are thinking of replacing your old makeup brushes, ensure that you know which ones to get.
Remember, there are around 32 makeup brushes that you can find on the market.
Beginners only need at least 3-4 makeup brushes.
Intermediate and advanced users, especially professional makeup artists, need 5-10 brushes.
Here are some essential ones that you might want to check:
1. Eyebrow Brush – If you love having perfectly defined eyebrows, you need to get an eyebrow brush.
This tool comes with an angled brush that helps shape your arches.
It also has a spoolie that enables you to blend and soften eyebrow products.
2. Eyeliner Brush – Having an angled eyeliner brush allows you to achieve different eyeliner styles.
Thus, if you love having winged eyeliners, you have to include this in your makeup kit.
3. Concealer Brush – This brush is small and flat with bristles meant for blending out makeup products.
This includes liquid, powder or cream makeup products.
You need to have this if you want to cover up skin imperfections effectively.
4. Foundation Brush – Foundation brushes are often medium-sized, and they have smooth bristles.
They are used to apply and even out makeup, including powder, liquid, and cream products on your skin.
5. Powder Brush – Powder brushes look similar to foundation brushes.
The main difference is that the bristles used in powder brushes are not as densely packed compared to foundation brushes.
You use this tool to apply any powder products like setting powder.
6. Blush Brush -This brush is smaller compared to a powder brush. It features a dome-shaped brush head with soft bristles.
It’s perfect for managing the amount of blush you apply to your face.
7. Contouring Brush – If you want to achieve a sculpted makeup look, having a contouring brush is a must.
This helps define your cheekbones and other parts of your face like the forehead and jawline.
8. Highlighter Brush -To achieve a strobing effect on your overall makeup look, using a highlighter brush is a must.
Highlighter brushes help you control the amount of highlights you apply.
This helps avoid putting too much shimmer and pigment on your face.
9. Blending Brush – As the name suggests, blending brushes are used to blend products and colors.
This is perfect for people who want to ensure they have flawless eye makeup.
This is meant for applying your eyeshadow, but you can also use this for contouring and highlighting.
10. Lip Brush -This makeup applicator tool is used to apply lip products like lipstick and lip gloss.
With lip brushes, you can have better precision, especially if you want to achieve a specific look or simply define your natural lip shape.
Easy Ways to Clean Makeup Brushes
According to Anisa International, 39% of women admitted they clean makeup brushes less than once a month.
Some of them even revealed that they don’t ever clean these makeup tools.
Some women simply don’t want to spend too much time and effort in cleaning their makeup brushes.
Thus, they avoid cleaning these tools because it takes time, especially if you need to wait for them to dry.
Despite the hassle of cleaning your makeup brushes, you still need to perform regular upkeep.
This way, you can prolong the lifespan of these tools.
You just need to find a quick way to clean and maintain your makeup tools.
Here are a few makeup brush cleaning steps for you:
- After using your brush, wash it with a gentle soap or shampoo. Make sure to use lukewarm water to get rid of dirt and stubborn products.
- Place and swirl it under running water. Make sure to rinse it thoroughly.
- Ensure there are no residues. Then, squeeze water out.
- Lay the brush flat on a paper towel to let it dry.
What to Clean Makeup Brushes With?
Cleaning makeup brushes can be a breeze, especially if you have a gentle soap in hand.
However, if you want other options, you can also try other products.
You can choose from a variety of cleaning products for your makeup brushes.
You can start with the following options:
Baby Shampoo – One of the best alternatives for cleaning makeup brushes is baby shampoo.
Its gentle formula helps get rid of dust and dirt from your makeup tools.
Facial Wash – Using a gentle facial wash can also work, especially if you are traveling.
If you forgot to pack your brush cleanser, you could simply use your facial cleanser.
Dish Soap – If you want a cheaper option, you can also choose dish soaps.
These are effective for deep cleaning your brushes.
Brush Cleanser – For a quick and hassle-free cleaning, you can simply buy a brush cleanser.
This product quickly dissolves and removes residue from your brushes.
Cleaning Mat – Brush cleaning mats have become popular among makeup enthusiasts. These help swirl away dirt, oil, and other unwanted products from your makeup brushes.
How Often to Clean Makeup Brushes
Beauty experts recommend that you clean your makeup brushes after every use. This means that you need to wash and let them dry right after your makeup session.
Doing so helps ensure that your makeup brushes stay clean and free from oil and dirt.
Regular cleaning also prevents bacteria build-up, which helps you avoid having skin problems.
It’s also recommended that you store your makeup brushes in a cool, dry place.
Avoid placing them under direct sunlight as it may cause damage to the wand and the bristles.